Your website is probably going to be your most important marketing tool. It should be the hub of all information related to your business. That’s why it is very important to have a domain name (url) that is descriptive of your business, easy to memorize, hard to misspell and of course available. Here are some easy tips to help you decide on the best domain name for you.
- Try to use your company name / brand in your domain name.
- Keep your domain name simple, short and easy to remember.
- Avoid using hyphens and underscores. They can cause confusion.
- Use key words related to your business. It’s best when your url describes what it is you do and what people would be searching for.
- Use dot com whenever possible. It’s the most recognized url extension.
- Avoid using numbers. Again, it’s confusing not knowing whether to use the number or to spell it out.
- Don’t add an “s” to an existing popular domain name. The “s” is easily forgotten and your potential client will end up at your competitor’s site.
For more helpful information on domain name selection and search engine optimization check out SEOmoz.org.